Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Welcome to Japan - Smells Like Death...

So, here it is. First post in awhile, but trust me, this one is well worth the wait. Aside from being super busy the last few months with a film, I now currently find myself in - come on, give it your best guess (check the title in case you're stumped). That's right - Tokyo, Japan! It's absolutely amazing, and by far one of the coolest things I've done in my adult life (learning to walk and talk are right up there, but that's why I added 'adult life'. ahem. anyway...)

I'm sitting here, at the end of my 3rd day, and all I can think about is how psyched I am that we have 11 more days here.

So, enough talk - let's get to the pictures, eh?

Japan - Day 1:

Needless to say, I still had the energy to be excited once we landed, even after 15 hours in the air:



The group outside the hotel, and then a funky picture from our welcoming dinner:





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day we awoke on the bright at 8:00 and ventured out to a City Bank to grab some Yen (which is surprisingly simple to use - the U.S. should take notes). After that, we got on the Tokyo Subway and headed out to Ueno Park. It is described best by my roommate, Andrew Miller - "It's like Central Park on crack" Perhaps a bit extreme, but you get the point...

We eventually went to the Tokugawa (probably butchered that spelling) Exhibit, which was showing a bunch of old Shogun goodies from way back when, like armor, tea ware, scrolls, and so on. It was really inspiring, and almost surreal to see all of this stuff just sitting inches from you. The highlight of the museum, though was definitely the Tea Garden - everyone should have one of these in their backyards. It was relaxing, and comforting, which seems to be the theme of the trip - I've yet to run into anything in Japan, from the people to the surroundings, that looks or feels rushed.

Anyway, enough talk, more pictures:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



















After Ueno, some of the animation crew (dubbed Team 911 - Go!, after the room number of our professors room - the surley Jason Maurer Sensai) grouped with some sequential kids and hit up an Italian Japanese restaurant. Language barrier, Shmanguage barrier...we got food just fine.

Here's what I had. I know, you're jealous..
(I kinda lucked out, cause I had NO idea what I ordered)



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I think that's gonna be it for now. I'll update tomorrow, when I'm.....less.....exhausted? Yea, who am I kidding? But today WAS a long day, as we got up at the crack of ice to...well, I'll save that for tomorrow. Gotta leave you guys coming back for a reason, don't I?

No comments: